Friday, January 23, 2009

Blogging

How to start a blog? This is the question of the hour. I am told that one needs to blog to have a social network. And you have to have a social network if you really want to do business online. A social network supposedly allows you to brand yourself and by doing so give your business a name of it's own as well. You want it to become as recognizable as the Golden Arches. Do I want to sell my products online? Yes. Do I want to be as famous as Ronald McDonald? I don't think so. While that may sound like the ultimate goal I really don't want to work that hard.




I am a retired pediatric nurse practitioner who has been making jewelry for the past five years. I started out taking a few classes with friends and making jewelry as gifts for family and friends. I retired from nursing two years ago and since that time I have really started to blossom as a jewelry maker. I really love to try new things and to experiment with different techniques and beads to see how they work together.




I have taken a few more classes and I have read several bead/jewelry magazines and books. I want to start to learn a few more techniques and also try some new mediums. I did take a class on chainmaille. I loved the look of the bracelet I made. I can see how people become hooked on it. But I think it would take a lot of practice and definitely a lot of patience. So that may not be the best thing for me. I do like working with wire though. I have made some wire crochet necklaces. I want to try and make some wire bracelets and earrings. And some different styles of wire necklaces as well. Another medium I would like to try some day is polymer clay. It looks like you could get really creative with it. I will have to research this option some more before I start down that road.




I have listed some of my jewelry for sale on a wonderful site called ArtFire. I am hopeful that I will be able to sell it there and to build up a customer base. I am also planning on featuring some of the other artists there on my blog. So I hope everyone will visit my studio at ArtFire. You can get there by going to http://www.suzbax.artfire.com/ Check out the other artists while you are there too. I think you will be impressed with all it has to offer. There is nothing like buying original handmade products. They make excellent gifts as well. You can be sure that the person you are giving them to will not have anything like it already.




This blog is a work in progress so I hope you will check back often or even sign up to follow it. I hope it will be a fun and informative place for everyone who visits.

No comments:

Post a Comment