Monday, July 20, 2009

Nice People



Today will be our last day in North Dakota. We are in Fargo which is right on the eastern border. As soon as we leave in the morning we will be crossing over into Minnesota. Yipee!!!
Another state under our belt.

We go pretty much to the east and slightly to the south in Minnesota until we get around St. Paul. From there we are going back and forth between Illinois and Missouri. I think it is because they are trying to take us along the Mississippi River. The maps take us on scenic routes where there isn't much traffic so it is pretty safe for bicyclists. But that isn't always the fastest nor the shortest route. But they have been pretty.

I have to say that we have had some really pleasant experiences. I am pretty sure I already blogged about the elderly farmer that bought us lunch a while back. And then 2 days ago when we were in Minot it was very windy. I was getting out of the van and a big gust of wind came along and just flung my door wide open. I had a hard time closing it and it made an awful sound when I did. I went into the store to make my purchases and when I came back out I could only open the door a few inches. Upon further inspection the wind had buckled the door and made it overlap with the front panel. So I had to get in the passengers door and go about my merry way.

Once Jim arrived and I told him what happened we looked for a body shop. Luckily there was one a few blocks from our hotel. So off we went and were expecting a big bill. We told the man there to just fix it so we could open the door and we'd worry about cosmetics when we got home. He said he could do that and it would probably be about $60 more or less. So we took Beau for a walk and he got out his crow bar and set to work. We came back a few minutes later and the door was fixed. There was only one little area on the front panel that was missing some paint. Otherwise it looked good too. And the best part was he only charged us $20. Now how often does that happen where you live. Never in South Florida that's for sure.

And people have been so helpful with directions and telling us good places to stay and eat. It really renews my spirit to know that most people are really genuinely kind and giving. That has been one of the best parts of this trip. And I am sure I will have more stories to tell before I get home too. We are almost halfway now too.

I had to put the picture of the oil well in this post. I never would have imagined that I would see an oil well in North Dakota. Farms and animals yes. Active, working oil wells no.

No comments:

Post a Comment